MIDDLEBURY STUDIO SCHOOL
COVID-19 Safety Plan
I.PURPOSE: The purpose of this plan is two-fold:
- To protect the health and safety of our all those who work and learn at Middlebury Studio School, including staff, teachers, volunteers, students and visitors.
- To implement the Mandatory Health and Safety Requirements for all Business, Nonprofits & Governmental Operations as required by the Vermont Department of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guidelines, Vermont Occupational Safety and Health Administration (VOSHA) and The Vermont Agency for Commerce and Community Development. Using the measures provided by these agencies, Middlebury Studio School will strive to protect the health of our employees. This program will document the measures we use to comply with the provided guidelines.
COVID-19 – COVID-19 is a respiratory disease spread from person to person. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.
- Must follow all rules and practices created by Middlebury Studio School, including, but not limited to:
- Participate in all trainings relative to COVID-19 including completing the following VOSHA COVID 19 training prior to returning to work (in link below) by reviewing and completing a training certificate
- Must stay home if they are sick with any of the following symptoms: fever of a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, cough, shortness of breath, chills/shaking, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell.
- Must follow all rules for entering Middlebury Studio School including having a temperature check.
- Must sanitize or wash hands frequently, including upon entering the school and when leaving the school.
- Must practice 6-foot social distancing at Middlebury Studio School if at all possible – 6 foot minimum
- Must wear a protective face covering or mask that covers their nose and mouth when at work.
Middlebury Studio School has appointed a Health Officer.
Our Health Officer is Kathy Clarke when she is present. If she is not present each teacher/studio assistant will be the Health Officer while they are teaching/assisting in their own classroom or open studio.
- The Health Officer is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Executive Orders of Governor Phil Scott and all applicable ACCD Guidance.
- This person has the authority to stop or modify activities to ensure all teachers, staff, students, volunteers and visitors to Middlebury Studio School are following the mandatory safety requirements.
IV.REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO MIDDLEBURY STUDIO SCHOOL OR SATELLITE CLASSROOMS:
The requirements for entry prior to any in-person activity are the responsibility of the attendees and the school.
- No one is allowed to enter who has tested positive for COVID-19 or has been in contact with any person who is diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 14 days, or has traveled outside of Vermont within the past 14 days.
- No one is allowed to enter who is currently feeling ill with any of the following symptoms:
- Fever: any temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater
- Shortness of breath
- Other symptoms: chills/shaking from chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste and smell
- We require all staff, teachers, volunteers and studio assistants to undergo a temperature check upon entering. Anyone with a temperature above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit will not be allowed to enter the building.
V.OTHER POLICIES RELATED TO COVID-19 SAFETY:
- On our front door we will clearly post a sign that says if you are sick please do not enter (See Appendix A for an example).
- Middlebury Studio School will keep a log of all who enter the school for 30 days.
- Our current policies/rules based on the most up-to-date health and safety requirements shall be posted at the entrance of the school or satellite classroom site so that all individuals entering will be made aware of them (see Appendix B for examples), including on the front door these specific signs:
- Wearing masks is required.
- Sanitizing or washing Hands is required upon entering the building.
- Please maintain 6-foot social distancing.
- We require all who enter the Middlebury Studio School or its satellite classroom sites to immediately wash their hands for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer for 20 seconds.
- We require people to wear a face mask or other protective face covering at all times while in the studio or at a satellite classroom site.
- We require all those present in the building or in a satellite class site to maintain social distancing of 6 feet from others.
- At the entrance to the building/satellite classroom there will be a sign with the occupancy limit for the entire building (See Appendix C).
- Each space in the building or satellite classroom will have a sign at its entrance posting the maximum number of people who can be in a space in order to maintain the required 6 foot of social distancing.
- Employees and volunteers will wipe down with disinfectant cleaner areas that they use during the time they are working at the school or satellite classrooms. This includes cleaning equipment, frequently touched surfaces and doors, tools and equipment in all common space including bathrooms. Signs with hand washing guidance will be posted in designated handwashing areas (see Appendix D for signage).
- Signs will posted in the classrooms requiring all students/staff/volunteers not to share foods and drinks while at Middlebury Studio School.
VI.POLICIES FOR IN-PERSON CLASSES
- No in-person classes shall take place until there is guidance from the State of Vermont through declarations from the governor and guidance from state agencies that it is safe to resume classes.
- Once classes resume the following rules will be in place:
- Participants will follow the rules for requirements for entry described in section IV of this document.
- No more than 10 participants may participate in any given class including instructors; the number of participants allowed will be based on providing enough space for 6-foot social distancing.
- All participants must wear a mask or other protective face covering while in the facility where the class is held.
- The facility used must provide sufficient space for adequate social distancing of participants.
- The space should be well-ventilated, allowing significant outside air replacement whenever possible. Teachers will make every effort to keep windows and doors open during class time when possible.
- Whenever possible students will be encouraged to bring their own tools and materials with them to classes to minimize the possibility of sharing germs.
- All common spaces and equipment, including bathrooms, frequently touched surfaces and doors, tools and equipment will be cleaned and disinfected at the beginning and end of each class (and in the middle of class when necessary) and, whenever possible, prior to transfer from one person to another.
- For Pottery Classes Specifically:
- Pottery toolkits will be made available for sale students.
- For those who do not have their own tools: no tools will be shared during class time. Students will leave tools in a disinfectant solution after rinsing them off. At the end of class, the teacher/studio assistants will leave them to dry.
- Students will be asked to disinfect their own work buckets at the end of class.
References: Note – requirements are continually changing. Changes will occur that are not reflected in this document.